We invite submissions on the conference topic suitable for a 45′ presentation, including 15′ discussion time. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to
- (formal) models of explanation and explanatory power;
- explanation in the special sciences (e.g., physics, mathematics, biology, social and economic sciences, humanities);
- explanation, IBE and scientific realism;
- explanation and scientific understanding;
- causal and non-causal explanations in the sciences;
- explanation vs. prediction and confirmation;
- the role of explanation in scientific reasoning;
- empirical investigations of laypersons’ and scientists’ explanatory reasoning.
We invite submissions in the form of a short abstract (ca. 150 words) and an extended abstract (up to 1000 words) through the EasyChair submission system. The conference language is English; contributions in other languages will not be considered. The abstract should not contain any identifying information.
In case of multiple authors, please indicate in the submission system who is going to present the paper. No conference participant can present more than one paper.
The submission deadline is 1 March 2018. (This means that 1 March is the last possible day for making or modifying a submission.) Notifications will be sent out by 20 March 2018 at the latest.
Graduate students presenting at the conference may qualify for free accommodation at a student residence of the University of Turin. Please send your requests upon being accepted for presentation.
There is also a workshop on explanatory power in nearby Geneva (Switzerland) on 14-15 June 2018. Explanation aficionados may be interested in combining both events.
Program Committee (TBC)
- Fabrizio Calzavarini, Turin
- Lorenzo Casini, Geneva
- Matteo Colombo, Tilburg
- Mauro Dorato, Roma Tre
- Igor Douven, Paris Sorbonne
- Alexander Gebharter, Düsseldorf
- Raoul Gervais, Antwerp
- Leah Henderson, Groningen
- Catherine Herfeld, Zurich
- Philippe Huneman, IHPST Paris
- Jaakko Kuorikoski, Tampere
- Marc Lange, Chapel Hill
- Chiara Lisciandra, Groningen
- Federico Laudisa, Milano Bicocca
- Uskali Mäki, Helsinki
- Barbara Osimani, Ancona
- Stathis Psillos, Athens
- Alexander Reutlinger, Munich
- Felipe Romero, Turin
- Juha Saatsi, Leeds
- Jonah Schupbach, Utah
- Katie Steele, Australian National University
- J.D. Trout, Illinois Institute of Technology
- Naftali Weinberger, Tilburg
Dates and Deadlines
1 March 2018: Submission Deadline
20 March 2018: Notification of Acceptance
1 June 2018: Registration Deadline
11-13 June 2018: Conference